Welcome to Ink N Scrap Habits!

I've created this blog to share my life & love of paper crafts with others. You will read bits and pieces of what goes on in my world and be able to see my paper craft creations! Please leave me a comment if you see something you like. I'd love to hear from you!

Monday, May 18, 2009

DRS Designs Flap Card Challenge

Today begins a new challenge on the DRS Designs Blog! The Designs Team was challenged to make flap cards this week. You can find the tutorial from Splitcoast Stampers here. We would love for you to play along...leave a comment on the DRS Designs Blog Challenge #21 post with a direct link to your creation so we can check it out. If you upload to a public gallery, please use the keyword DRSC21.


For this challenge I made a Butterfly Birthday flap card.



I started this project by stamping and coloring the butterfly ribbon slide image twice with markers. Then, I cut one of them out with scissors and used a circle Nestie die to cut out the other. I layered them and used 3 black brads to attach them and create the butterfly "body." I bent up the wings of the top butterfly for some dimension and for the look like it was flying. Then, I matted it again with a red scalloped circle.


I followed the tutorial on Splitcoast Stampers, and created my card base from black cardstock, using my largest scalloped Nestie to trim the "flap." I adhered the matted butterfly to the center of the flap and then matted it again with a larger white scalloped circle, that was put behind the black flap.



I decorated the front by layering it with red cardstock that was stamped with the Lots of Lines background stamp, which added just the right amount of texture to the front of the card. I tied a small black and white plaid ribbon to the bottom and layered it with the Happy Birthday sentiment stamp that I punched out and matted with the SU! Word Window Punch.

Since there was so much going on, on the outside of the card I decided to keep things pretty simple on the inside. I stamped the Flitter, Flutter Butterfly sentiment in red ink on white cardstock, cut it out with my Nesties, and layered it with a panel of red cardstock that was decorated with a border punch.

Stamps: DRS Designs- Butterfly Ribbon Slide (D681), Lots of Lines Background (H366), 1 Line Happy Birthday Sentiment (B250), Flitter Flutter Birthday Greeting (G604)
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black, SU! Real Red
Paper: Smooth white cardstock by Office Depot, Colored Cardstock by American Crafts
Accessories: Bic Markers, Nesties, Ribbon by The Paper Studio, SU! Word Window Punch, Brads by Joann's Scrap Essentials, Fiskars Treading Water Border Punch
Finished Card Size: 4" x 4 1/8" folded, 4" x 11 1/4" open


I had a lot of fun making this card. I love how it's different from the regular cards I make, yet simple & easy enough to do more often! This kind of card would make a great gift card holder as well by using the bottom flap as a pocket.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my challenge card today. I appreciate your visit.

Hope you have a wonderful Monday!


Smiles,
Jennifer

6 comments:

Deb said...

So beautiful! Love this bold color combo (one of my most favorite ever!) and all the texture and scalloped edges. That gingham ribbon is perfect! The inside is as pretty as the outside!

dawnmercedes said...

RED is my favorite...and the double butterfly is such a fab idea!

Anonymous said...

Jen, this is just GORGEOUS!! Love your beautiful butterfly pop up and the inside is pretty too!! Nice job!

Jessica G. said...

Beautiful card, Jen! The red and black colors are stunning together, I love the 3-D butterfly, and the black gingham ribbon is the perfect embellishment!!

Cathy Rulli said...

I really like this card! The colors and the overall style - great job!

Laura Evangeline said...

I'm so inlove with this card!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin