Welcome to Ink N Scrap Habits!

I've created this blog to share my life & love of paper crafts with others. You will read bits and pieces of what goes on in my world and be able to see my paper craft creations! Please leave me a comment if you see something you like. I'd love to hear from you!

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lights and Ribbon Slides!

Have you seen the new ribbon slides recently released by DRS Designs? I'm having so much fun with them! They allow you to get so creative beyond the "normal" uses of ribbon. Take a look at this Jolly Holiday card I made the other night! Gotta love a strand of holiday lights!


This card was tons of fun--a little tedious and took some time to create, but I love the finished product!



My first step in making this card was to stamp the single bulb ribbon slide repeatedly on white cardstock. Next, I colored them all with my Bic Markers and then cut them all out--yes, all 10 of them. I actually made 12 of them, but thought that would be too many once I started planning the layout of my card. (I told you this card was a little tedious! LOL!) Then, I cheated a little. I used my Crop-a-Dile to poke holes in the ribbon slide portion, rather then use scissors to cut them out. This worked well for this project because I used embroidery floss rather than ribbon in the slide portion of each image.



Knowing that I wanted to use majority of the bulbs I made, I knew this would have to be a larger card. I created the card base from green cardstock. The finished card size is 5 3/4" x 5 1/2." I thought the bulbs looked best on a lighter background, so I used yellow for the background rather than red or green, even though this was a holiday card. I matted the yellow cardstock with red cardstock as shown, and stamped "Have a Jolly Holiday!" in the center of my yellow cardstock. I placed a pop-dot on the back of each bulb, and then threaded the embroidery floss through the holes in each bulb. I arranged the bulbs around the sentiment, adhering each one in place before I moved on to the next one.

I then wrapped red grosgrain ribbon around the upper left corner of the card front, and the bottom right corner. I tied a bow and attached over the ribbon as shown.

Most holiday light bulbs are glass right? Well, to finish off this card I added Diamond Glaze over each bulb to give it that shiny, glassy look.

I love this card! I think it's so cute! Hope you like it as well!

  • Stamps: All images by DRS Designs- Single Bulb Ribbon Slide, Jolly Holiday Sentiment
  • Ink: Versafine Onyx Black
  • Paper: Smooth White Cardstock from Office Depot, Colored Cardstock from Bazzill, and Paper Reflections
  • Accessories: Bic Markers, Diamond Glaze, DMC Embroidery thread, Crop-a-dile, Pop-dots


Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog today. I appreciate your visit. Won't you leave me a comment to let me know you were here?

Happy Thursday!

Smiles,
Jennifer

5 comments:

BarbK said...

This card is fantastic. I must have these slides, Jennifer. TFS.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love it. It would be nice if you could mass produce, but cutting all those bulbs does take time. Spartymom

Shirley said...

Jennifer, who wouldn't want to get this card for Christmas. Those lights have the glass look from here and are just wonderful!

MaryNSC said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angel said...

awesome card!! great coloring on all those bulbs! a lot of work, but well worth it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin