Welcome to Ink N Scrap Habits!

I've created this blog to share my life & love of paper crafts with others. You will read bits and pieces of what goes on in my world and be able to see my paper craft creations! Please leave me a comment if you see something you like. I'd love to hear from you!

Friday, August 22, 2008

Fun Filled Friday: Polka Dots

Well, it's fun filled Friday again...Yeah! TGIF! I hope you don't mind, but I have another Fall card for you...Halloween actually. I just can't get enough of them. Fall is my favorite time of year, so I promise this won't be the last! LOL!

For this week's Fun Filled Friday challenge, I challenged Kimmy to use Polka Dots!

My challenge card displays polka dots on both kinds of patterned paper and I added black polka dots around my image to help accent it. I had fun with this sketch. Have you ever seen the card sketches on Pagemaps.com? Go check them out. There's lots of inspiration there!


To make this card, I first colored my image with my Prismacolor pencils and blended the colors with Gamsol. I, then trimmed down the white cardstock and inked the edges around the image in orange. I added the black polka dots around my image using a black Gel pen. I thought the empty space above the witch was a little plain, so I stamped the sentiment "Spooky Greetings" there to fill in the space. Next, I matted the image first with black cardstock and then again with orange cardstock.

I searched though the card layouts from Pagemaps and created this card using a map from April 2005. I created my card base from orange cardstock, so that the folded card measures 6 3/8" x 4 1/4." I trimmed the black polka dot paper to fit on the card base, leaving a slight orange border around it. Next, I cut the orange Halloween paper so that it fit across the length of the card. I cut it as shown, leaving a gap approx. 3/8" and adhered it to the black patterned paper.

Next, I used my Crop-a-Dile to punch 4 holes on each side of the gap and then set black eyelets in each one. While setting the eyelets for this card, I actually broke my Crop-a-dile! Can you believe it?!?! I was so bummed, and to top it off, it broke setting the second one--I had 6 more to go!

Luckily my Dear Husband was at work, so I was able to get out that awful hammer and start pounding away. I forgot how much effort that actually took and how loud it really was! After about a half hour, I had them all set in place. (note: Kudos to We-R-Memory Keepers! I emailed them about it breaking and they are actually going to send me a replacement part, with instructions, to fix my Crop-a-dile! Gotta love great customer service!)

Just like a shoe, I then, laced the eyelets with orange paper yarn and tied it in a bow. Then, I adhered the matted image to the left of the "show string," and voila! My polka dot card was complete!

Don't forget to run over to Kimmy's blog. I know you are just as curious as me to see what she come up with for this polka dot challenge.

  • Stamps: Rubbernecker's Stamp Oasis Little Lovin's Flyin' Witch, Spooky Greetings sentiment by Rubbernecker
  • Ink: Versafine Onyx Black
  • Paper: Smooth White cardstock from Office Depot, pattern paper from Heidi Grace Designs, Bazzill cardstock
  • Accessories: Prismacolor Pencils, Gamsol, Eyelets by Joann's Scrap Essentials, Paper yarn by Twistart, Black Gelly Roll pen

Stay tuned for Sunday when I announce next week's Fun Filled Friday Challenge.

Have a wonderful Weekend!

Smiles,

Jennifer

2 comments:

ChrissyM said...

Adorable card! My fall is my favorite time of year too.

Thanh Vo said...

Ya know, I LOVE the old way with eyelets. I love pounding and making all that noise, stress relief maybe? LOL Very adorable card. Just reminds me that I only have a week or so left of the summer.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin