Welcome to Ink N Scrap Habits!

I've created this blog to share my life & love of paper crafts with others. You will read bits and pieces of what goes on in my world and be able to see my paper craft creations! Please leave me a comment if you see something you like. I'd love to hear from you!

Monday, June 29, 2009

DRS Designs Dazzling Diamond Dust Challenge

How's that for a tongue twister title! Today begins the DRS Designs 24th blog challenge which is to use the dazzling diamond dust technique as a focal image. This is such a cool technique and really takes no time at all.


I created this Butterfly Birthday card using a modified version of the Dazzling Diamond Dust technique. I don't own iridescent embossing powder and with money being tight, I can't justify buying it right now--It's always good to have alternative ways of achieving a similar look too, so, here's what I did...

Just like anything that shimmers and shines & is full of glitz and glamor, trying to capture what it looks like in real life can be a challenge. So, enjoy all of the pictures I have for you today!

I recently found the instructions to the White Outline Technique while blog hopping and thought it was perfect to help me achieve my modified Dazzling Diamond Dust appearance. First, I heat embossed the sentiment with clear embossing powder on glossy cardstock. Then, I used alcohol inks to create the background in Carmel, Terra Cotta, and Gold. The gold really gave it that shimmery look. I made sure to ink right over the embossed sentiment as well. Next, I laid a piece of white computer paper over the sentiment and used a clothing iron to re-melt the embossed area, which was absorbed by the paper--no residue got on my iron (Thankfully, as I was a little worried I might ruin my good iron!) I took this technique one step further by spraying it with Iridescent Gold Glimmer Mist to add a fine glimmer on top of the gold that was already in the background.

The layout I used is based on CPS Sketch 121 from last week. The flower butterfly was stamped using the Rock N Roll technique--SU! really Rust in the middle and Pumpkin Pie along the edges. I cut it out from white cardstock and matted it as shown using mats cut from my Nesties.

I think the White Outline Technique is unique, especially here, how I've used it for my sentiment . You don't see white sentiments very often! If you click on either of these pictures you can really see the "Diamond Dust" look in and around the sentiment and on the butterfly.


Stamps: DRS Designs- Flower Butterfly (H056), Flitter Flutter Birthday (G604)
Ink: Rubber Stampede Embossing Ink, SU! Pumpkin Pie, Really Rust
Paper: Smooth white cardstock, Glossy White Cardstock, Colored Cardstock by American Crafts, Gold Bazzill Cardstock
Accessories: Nesties, Alcohol Inks, Ribbon by Bobbie M. Designs, Brads by The Paper Studio, Tattered Angles Glimmer Mist in Iridescent Gold
Finished Card Size: 4.75" x 7"

So, do you have what it takes to create a Diamond Dazzling Dust project, or will you have to modify it like me? Either way, the DRS Designs DT would love for you to participate in this challenge. Just post a direct link to your creation in the comment section of the Challenge #24 post on the DRS Designs blog and if you upload to a public gallery, please use the keyword DRSC24.

************************

One last thing!!! Be sure to stop by The Pink Elephant Challenge blog starting today thru Sunday. DRS Designs will be sponsoring the current challenge - check out the details at The Pink Elephant on how you might be able to win some DRS Designs stamps!!
*************************


Thanks for visiting today! I hope your day is great!

Smiles,
Jennifer

4 comments:

Jessica G. said...

The glimmer mist really adds a gorgeous shimmer to this card!

Anonymous said...

WOWZER Jennifer!! This is stunning!! The colors are beautiful and you've captured the shimmer in it so beautifully!! TFS! :)

Renée said...

This is so pretty! Love the layout, love the use of the techniques. Thanks for the links!

Thanh Vo said...

I love love glimmer mists and my collection is growing hahaha. Your cards are gorgeous

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin