Welcome to Ink N Scrap Habits!

I've created this blog to share my life & love of paper crafts with others. You will read bits and pieces of what goes on in my world and be able to see my paper craft creations! Please leave me a comment if you see something you like. I'd love to hear from you!

Friday, September 25, 2009

Economical Christmas Greeting

Under the hard economic times that the United States is facing right now, we're all making cuts to save our pennies & make the most of every dollar we earn. I know that I'm trying to save so that we don't feel the tight pinch of the holidays, especially since there are less than 100 days until Christmas.


I'm seriously considering making & sending Christmas postcards this year instead of regular Christmas cards. Have you ever thought of doing that? With the cost of postage on the rise on what seems like a yearly basis and right now at $.44 a card, it will cost me a nice chunk of change to send out my Christmas cards this year. By switching to post cards, I'll cut that price in about half--which is a welcomed cut by my pocket book since I send about 60 Christmas cards every year.


Here is the front & back of the post card I created earlier this week. I plan on designing a few others as well in the near future. (Don't mind that I forgot to put the postage stamp on the back of my postcard before taking the picture! LOL!)




Here's a close up of the post card front. I used Alcohol inks to decorate glossy cardstock in red, green and gold. I stamped several Christmas images from DRS Designs using black Staz On ink. You can see the glare where the gold AI ink caught the light.





This is the same post card, but I took the picture without a flash so you could see the images better in this photo than like the background on the other one.





DRS Designs has a huge selection of holiday sentiments and I used the "Simple Joys of Christmas sentiment" to decorate the back of my post card.





They even carry fun postage frames that I used to dress up the back as well! I know that it costs more than 5 cents to send a postcard these days--it's actually 28 cents now, but I wanted to add a stamp so you could see the how much the postage frame actually accentuates the back of your postcard. I colored the postage frame image with marker and it turned the back of this postcard from blah to beautiful instantly!







Stamps: DRS Designs- Silhouette Holly (F002), Triple Holly (F1004), Small Merry Christmas Sentiment (B1014), Holly Candy Cane Postage Frame (H998).
Ink: Staz On Jet Black, Ranger Alcohol Inks in Gold, Bottle & Cranberry
Paper: White Glossy Cardstock
Accessories: Bic & Copic Markers
Finished Card Size: 6" x 4.25"




Have you considered sending postcards instead of Christmas cards for the upcoming season?

Hope all have a great weekend!
Thanks for visiting today & thanks for all of your wonderful comments!

Smiles,
Jennifer

4 comments:

Beth Norman said...

What a cool idea!

Anonymous said...

For years I have been thinking of doing postcards! I love love love yours! You inspired me to go for it this year!!!!!

Jessica G. said...

The alcohol ink background is stunning, Jennifer! Great idea to use postcards vs. full cards; it would work well with kid thank yous, too.

Anonymous said...

Such a fabulous idea Jen!! I just love how your background turned out!! This is one of my fav things to do!! ;) HUGS

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin