Welcome to Ink N Scrap Habits!

I've created this blog to share my life & love of paper crafts with others. You will read bits and pieces of what goes on in my world and be able to see my paper craft creations! Please leave me a comment if you see something you like. I'd love to hear from you!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Cards For Heros Holiday Card Drive

We Need Your Help!!
During the months of September and October DRS Designs will be collecting as many holiday and winter themed cards as you can make for our Cards For Heros Holiday Card Drive.

To inspire you further DRS Designs will be offering a Total of 4 prizes:
Two prizes will be awarded at the end of each month in September & October.


Prize 1:
The stamper who has sent us the most cards during that month will win a $50 DRS Designs Gift Certificate!!

Prize 2:
We will pick our favorite card of the month that uses only DRS Designs Rubber Stamps and that stamper will win a $25 DRS Designs Gift Certificate!

Please be sure to get your card donations to us by October 26th so they can be distributed in time for the holiday rush!


Just a few things to remember for each card you send in:
Cards must only be 4.25" x 5.5"
No Glitter
No Store bought cards allowed
Please be sure to include an envelope for each card donated.


Send your cards to:
DRS Designs
217 Greenwood Avenue
Bethel, CT 06801


Here's the first of many cards I will be submitting to the drive.



Stamps: DRS Designs- Triple Tree with Snow (L004), "Happy Holidays" from the Simple Pleasures Greeting (G725), Ribbon Card Edger (P903)
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black, SU! Glorious Green, Real Red
Paper: Smooth white cardstock by Office Depot, Colored Cardstock by American Crafts
Accessories: Stamp A Ma Jig
Finished Card Size: 5.5" x 4.25"


I kept things very basic on this card because I wasn't sure if I added ribbon tied in a knot or bow and metal embellishments if it would pose a problem with postage when the soldiers mailed the cards. I figured 'no bulk" was best, and tried to make all of my CFH cards like that. I spiced up this card by using different color inks: the sentiment is stamped in black, the trees are stamped in green and the ribbon image in red.

I really thought creating cards for this card drive would be no big deal & that I could just sit down and whip them right up. Well, it wasn't until I sat down and started playing with my stamps and cardstock that I realized just what a small challenge this would be for me.


When I make cards, I don't pay much attention to my card base size. I usually start with my stamped image and build my card out from there. As a result, I rarely make cards that are the standard A2 size. I make them whatever size works for what I have in mind and then just hand make whatever size envelope I need to fit it, if it is going to be mailed. Well, as you can see above, cards for this drive must be standard A2 size only! Several times while preparing a bunch of Christmas cards for DRS Designs latest release I caught myself & had to back track and stay focused on making my cards the right size. The other minor glitch I ran into was trying not to use glitter on my cards. Every card I made I always thought, "glitter would really make this card pop!" Like with today's card for example, I really wanted to add glitter to the snow caps below the trees and a bit to the tree branches. I just might have to make this card again for myself and add the glitter to see how it would look. I'm just so curious, but I do understand that it is for the safety of our soliders that they ask that glitter is not used on cards for the drive.


Every other Monday the DRS Designs DT will show off the cards we've made for the CFH Card Drive. So, the next show off date is 2 weeks from today on September 21st. I'll show you another one of my CFH cards then. (So sorry to keep you waiting in suspense!)

Well, this is it for me today. I'm exhausted from working this entire weekend, and have to work another 12 hours today. I'm glad that tomorrow is my day off. I hope all of my American readers have had a wonderful long weekend!

Thanks to you all for visiting here today & thank you in advance for making the DRS Designs Holiday Card Drive a success!

Smiles,
Jennifer

2 comments:

Beth Norman said...

Lovely card. It doesn't need embellishments at all. My standard card size is 6" now.

Jessica G. said...

Classic Christmas card and the textured DP adds an extra touch of elegance!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin