Welcome to Ink N Scrap Habits!

I've created this blog to share my life & love of paper crafts with others. You will read bits and pieces of what goes on in my world and be able to see my paper craft creations! Please leave me a comment if you see something you like. I'd love to hear from you!

Friday, August 29, 2008

Fun Filled Friday Vellum Challenge

Yeah! It's Friday!

This week Kimmy challenged me to use vellum. I was a little nervous about this one. It's been a very long time since I've created with it. However, once I started making this card, everything seemed to fall right into place. I know a few week's ago we had a challenge to use heat embossing, but I couldn't resist it on this challenge & just had to use it again. And yes, I used that snowflake background from DRS Designs again as well. I love it!



So, without further adieu, here's my Vellum Christmas card!




The first step in making this card was to create my cardstock base. I had a layout in my head about what I wanted to do with this card, but I just needed to make sure I had enough space on my card to do it. The card base was created from white cardstock and the finished size for this card measures 4.25" x 6." My next step was to cut a piece of red cardstock to create my card front. Then, I stamped the snowflake background on the vellum with embossing ink, sprinkled it with white embossing powder, and then heat set it. Next, I tore the vellum to create the panel that I used on my card front. I attached it using 4 red brads, one in each corner. I then stamped the other side of the card (on the red cardstock) using the snowflake background and embossing ink. I sprinkled it with white embossing powder and heat set it just like I did on the vellum. My next step was to add the sentiment to my card.




I used my Nesties to cut a plain oval, large enough to accommodate the sentiment. I stamped the sentiment with embossing ink on the oval, sprinkled it with red embossing powder & heat set it as well. I thought there was too much white space around the sentiments, so I used the snowflake background to place a single snowflake above the sentiment. I heat embossed this in red too.







To decorate the bottom of the card, I used white grosgrain ribbon and another new ribbon slide by DRS Designs. I heat embossed the ribbon slide in red embossing powder and then cut it out. I slid the ribbon though it, centered it on my card front and then adhered the ribbon in place on the back of the red cardstock. My final step was to adhere the card front to the white cardstock base.






  • Stamps: All images by DRS Designs- Bow Ribbon Slide, Snowflake Background, God's Love sentiment

  • Ink: Rubber Stampede Embossing ink

  • Paper: Smooth White Cardstock from Office Depot, Colored Cardstock from Bazzill, and Paper Reflections, vellum

  • Accessories: Creative Beginnings embossing powder, brads by Making Memories, Bobbi M. Designs white grosgrain ribbon, Oval Nestabilities

Make sure to click here to see Kimmy's challenge card. Wonder if she used vellum like I did or if she used some fancy technique?!?! I guess we'll find out soon enough!


Smiles,
Jennifer

3 comments:

Traci G said...

Very beautiful card Jennifer!!

Angel said...

so pretty, jennifer! awesome job on the ribbon slide! and i really like the vellum!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Guess you won this week-LOL. Great card.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin